0113 469 0572

To become an MOT Test Centre, first, you will need to make sure that you have the correct MOT training and qualifications to become an MOT tester. Without the correct qualifications, you will not be approved by the Drivers and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

You will also need to decide who should become the AEDM (Authorised Examiner Designated Manager). If you have one site, then this would need to be a director or sole trader of the business. This person would also need additional training to carry out the role of AEDM.

The DVSA have an excellent section on “How to apply to open, run or change an MOT test station“.

You will also require premises that comply with the Drivers and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) regulations. For example, you will need the height, length and width required for the classes of vehicles you would be testing.

Also that the door and any openings to the MOT bay in and out meet the minimum width and height required.

There is a lot to think about before taking on any commitment with premises. You are strongly advised to have these important dimensions checked by a qualified competent person before deciding on any premises.

Once you have decided on both the AEDM training and MOT tester training as well as ensuring that the premises meet the required dimensions you will need to think about the range of MOT equipment or MOT Bay Package you would like to purchase to become an approved MOT test Centre.

The range of MOT equipment can include:

  • Vehicle lift/ramp/pit
  • Headlamp Beam Tester
  • Roller Brake Tester
  • Emissions Tester
  • Decelerometer
  • Various hand-held tools
  • Tool board and signage

Note: DVSA in conjunction with GEA is rolling out MOT Connected Equipment which automates some of the MOT test results back to the DVSA MTS system, so you need to be aware of the latest regulations around connected equipment and ensure that your circumstances and MOT equipment meet the required standards.

Next, you will need to choose a supplier to supply and install your new equipment. Make sure that your supplier will support you and your business before and after your installation. For example, will your supplier carry out your DVSA application for you? Will they supply DVSA-accredited CAD drawings for you? The application is called the VT-01 document. This is what’s submitted to DVSA along with your supporting documents to allow DVSA to authorise you to become an approved MOT testing facility.

You can additionally read our blog on how to complete the VT01 document for further information.

At Concept Garage Equipment we are experts in MOT Test Centres and can help you every step of the way. Call us today for some free no obligation advice on your journey to building your MOT test centre on 0113 469 0572.